Since the establishment of the EAEA more than 50years ago, it was keen to reinforce cooperation with universities, organizations and countries in the field of peaceful applications of nuclear energy at national, regional and international levels.
On the National Level
• EAEA cooperates with the Ministry of Agriculture and IAEA to
control fruit flies using population suppression and sterile insect
• Providing technical assistance and consultation to all nuclear medicine centres for workers and public protection.
• Implementing a cooperation program with the Scientific Research Academy (Science and Technology Development Fund) to carry out some applied projects.
• The EAEA cooperates with the Agricultural Research Centre to make use of radiation technology and nuclear measurements in agriculture.
On the Regional Level
• The EAEA actively participates in the regional cooperation program with Arab countries through the Middle Eastern Regional Radioisotopes Centre for the Arab Countries and Arab Atomic Energy Authority.
• The EAEA cooperates with all African countries through the African Regional Cooperative Agreement for Research, Development & Training related to Nuclear Science & Technology (AFRA)
under supervision of IAEA. AFRA is an agreement
between the African governments to achieve cooperation and
integration in Africa to develop peaceful applications of nuclear
technology. 37 African countries including Egypt signed the AFRA
agreement since 4th of April 1990. Through this agreement, IAEA
supports the African countries through joint projects in various fields
of nuclear applications.
• The commitment of Egypt to the AFRA spirit, programs and
initiatives is high. The country provides five regional designated centres in the fields of nuclear instrumentation maintenance, irradiation processing, isotope-hydrology, education and radiotherapy. Egypt also participates in several regional activities under AFRA such as providing advice to other counterparts and hosting topical meetings, training courses and workshops.
On the International Level
• • Egypt became a Member State of the International Atomic Energy Agency in 1958 and is by far one of the largest recipient of technical assistance from the Agency with project disbursements of over US$10 million for the period 1996- 2012. The largest areas of cooperation have traditionally been in safety of nuclear energy, nuclear engineering and technology, general atomic energy development, nuclear physics and chemistry and the applications of isotopes and radiation in industry and hydrology.
The EAEA is the focal point of contact with IAEA in the country.
• The EAEA is a party to bilateral agreements in the field of peaceful
applications of nuclear energy with Germany, Argentina, Canada, India, Russia and the U.S.A.