Central Laboratories for isotopes applications (NRC)
These laboratories aim at investing the capabilities of the highly technical staff members and advanced equipment to offer services and training. These central laboratories include the following:
- Laboratory of molecular biology.
- Laboratory of micro technology.
- Laboratory of radiation counting and chemical analysis.
- Laboratory of molecular microbiology and tissues culture.
- Laboratory of Nitrogen-15 measurement.
These laboratories enhance the scientific research cooperation between the EAEA and the relevant research centers. They also allow researchers engaged in different relevant research activists to get acquainted with nuclear techniques.
Unit of Production of Freeze – Dried Kits for 99mTc – labelling (HLWMC)
Tasks of this unit are not limited to the production of some radioactive labelled pharmaceutical compounds, they also involve performing quality control check on them to ensure that the products comply with the International Standards. The quality control tests include the following:
- Determination of chemical and radiochemical purity.
- Determination of sterility and apyreogenicity.
- Determination of the reducing agent contents (Sncl2)
- Determination of moisture contents.
This unit produced the following freeze dried kits for 990mTc- labelling to be used in diagnostic imaging in Nuclear Medicine
- DTPA (Diethylene Triamine Pentoacetic Acid) freeze dried kit for diagnostic imaging of kidney diseases. This product has been licensed by the National Authority of Pharmaceutical Control.
- DMSA (Dimercapto Succinic Acid) freeze dried kit for kidney disease. This product has also been licensed.
- MDP (Methylene Diphosphonate) freeze dried kits for diagnostic imaging of bone diseases. This product is in the licensing phase.
Neutron activation analysis is used to detect the toxic dangerous environmental pollutants. These pollutants include heavy and light metals resulting from polluting industries (iron and steel, fertilizers and cement), lead emitted through cars exhaust as well as other toxic elements such as Antimony (pesticides), Tin, Cadmium and Beryllium. Neutron activation analysis technique is considered one of the most accurate and sensitive techniques. Its sensitivity is up to 1 part per million of a gram of the element required to be determined.
Analytical Services Laboratory (HLWMC)
This laboratory was established in 1998 in order to offer accurate chemical analysis to all sectors of the society. It contains many analytical modern equipment such as:
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometer (ICPS)
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF)
- Raman – Fourier Transform Infra – Red Spectrometer (FTIR)
NCRRTL-CL provides access to state of the art instrumentation for both research and training purposes.The facility provides services for researchers, faculty members, and graduate students as well as for industry from all over Egypt.It provides tailored hands-on training programs. The instrumentation provided covers both basic and applied sciences that follows the national calls. more
These units were established in the early sixties of the 20th century in order to apply irradiation processing technology in some industries e.g cement, rubber and glass industries to produce some products with improved properties.