As for food, the EAEA has a significant role. This is represented in:
- Using gamma irradiation in food preservation according to the international standards to increase shelf-life and decrease food losses.
- Using radiation to improve crop varieties through mutation techniques combined with selected technology methods. Through applying these methods, varieties with selected properties and higher yield could be obtained.
- Using artificial insemination programs to increase productivity and profitability in milk and meat production.
- Using population suppression and sterile insect techniques to control fruit flies.
- Local production of radiation indicators required to measure and check doses of sterilized medical and pharmaceutical products.
- Improving the efficiency of using irrigation water and nutrients by using stable isotopes.
- Evaluation of some field residues and enhancing their nutritional value by using bio- and – nuclear techniques.